Monday, April 11, 2011

I Bento, You Bento, WE Bento!!




This photo I found on google images, but you can find it, other photos and awesome recipes for Bento making at this website here  http://www.aibento.net/. This woman is a Bento Guru. lol.

If you're not too familiar with Bento making let me inform you about this particular aspect of the Japanese culture. {R.I.P. to those who were lost} I love just about everything I can get my hands on when it comes to Japan and the Japanese culture including Bento Making.

This is where people are able to make small meals that help them limit their calorie intake and provides a convenient breakfast, lunch, or dinner for men women and children.
The meals usually consist of two lean meats, a few veggies, fruit and loads of white or brown rice.
Some have food coloring which is usually for the children's boxes or the ladies if they enjoy a little fun in their lunches. lol!
The best part is that you can make virtually anything!
Like this guy I came across


Or this cutie with his round belly lol

The different shapes are made by using anything from straws as hole punches to ice cream scoopers for round bellies and heads. Plastic wrap helps shape the sticky rice exactly how you want it without getting the rice stuck between your fingers.

  This would qualify as one of the more traditional boxes

This is a children's box
You can tell by its small size and adorable Pandas


Tooth picks and food coloring helps when drawing and coloring in small pieces like on this smiley face.


After this post I am going to go try to make a box of my own. If I am successful I'll post pictures! If not I'll post my failed attempt lol

Though there are real tools for bento making, it's just good to try it out with what you have on hand before you go out and spend the money on something you may or may not have a knack for.





UPDATE!

I made my own personal bento box, this is for tonights dinner and tomorrows lunch.  Yum!(^_^)
Please hold the criticism this is my first box and I am very proud.
The only trouble I had would probably be how my sisters and mother kept coming back for my chicken (my own original recipe). Ha!


2 comments:

Twitter