Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Secret Life, Teen Moms, Teen Dads?, Saving the Future

Warning Serious Note here people!


I do not believe teen pregnancies are acceptable. It wasn't that big of a problem for me until shows like "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" came out, there was even a time when I adored "The Secret Life". But one thing is for sure and that is,  I will not discriminate against or judge a girl for being a teen mom.



Photo from Google Images


If you have heard of this show then you may be a fan unless you're like me in which you probably could be neither here nor there about the show. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Secret Life when is first came out, I loved the teen drama and how the producers put a comedic spin on the very serious situation.

But now as we have arrived into the third season of this show I can't help but feeling like its the same ol' song and dance. You know teen drama Blah blah someone is pregnant other couples are struggling with having sex and resisting the urge to have sex, and all that gas.

I'm not knocking ABC for trying to create a 'Real' life drama, but this seems like it has fallen below the bar as in terms of real life. I mean wouldn't it be great if when ever a teen girl had gotten pregnant she'd struggle with the thought of abortion and then change her mind, and then keeps her baby and goes through the motions of being with the father and then he happens to actually want to be there for her and the baby, and then great and amazing things happen when her family actually wants her to keep the baby too.
-__________-...



Reported in 2009


Photo from:http://www.examiner.com/protestant-in-san-francisco/religion-conservatism-and-teen-pregnancy

It's not like that, thats not real life. There are girls that my sister (15) knows who are from ages 12-16 who get pregnant have babies and then the father is no where to be found and their parents will do one of three things, guilting them into aborting (or adopting out) the baby, kicking them out of the house (which leaves them to sort out things in foster care or living on the street), or they will help them by having them live there but making them get jobs. Real life is not a show like MTV's Teen Mom or Teen mom 2 (Really? It's like they're promoting teen pregnancy). True Story: One of the girls on Teen Mom got a boob job with her TV money, now how is her daughter supposed to benefit from that?..

Now the first teen mom was okay it did help some look into the lives of what some teen moms go through, but Teen Mom 2, I can just imagine the hoards of naive girls looking to see how they can time it right for the next 16 and Pregnant and on to Teen Mom 3.


So could you imagine being a 15 year old girl thinking about what college you want to go to and who you want to intern for and going shopping on Mom and Dad's dime, and then all of it comes to a halt because you had sex and got pregnant. There is nothing worse than the feeling of having to tell mom and dad their little girl is pregnant.

Imagine being 12 or 13 little girl and not having a clue...

That's it, that is real life. Real Life is not having friends around to help you take care of your mistake/blessing (The Secret Life)  and it certainly isn't about having make up and a 60-65 thousand dollar tv show contract (Teen Mom)  it is hot, sleepless nights of heart burn and gas, and freezing, tired mornings of vomit and hunger pangs. The sad part is that a lot of these younger girls 9-13 are usually ill informed or their parents aren't in their lives due to them working.   Yes, Reader you read me right girls out here are young as 9 years old having sex and getting pregnant. Imagine what they think when they see shows like 16 and Pregnant, children can be so impressionable. Just be aware and talk to them, ask the uncomfortable questions and ask them if they have any questions. They need to know in this world that we live in they have the right to protect themselves and to say NO!.

Sorry for the serious moment readers, It just really pisses me off how these shows glamorize teen pregnancy. I have plenty of friends who have gotten pregnant as teens, found a job, graduated from high school, and then went on to be stay at home students by registering at the community college to get their associates degree in what ever field they chose. But all will tell you it was never easy, none of them will say "oh I had an easy pregnancy" or "Going to school was a breeze when I was pregnant". You know what you will hear these young girls say "I got pregnant for a show and then I wasn't chosen because they didn't like my character."
-______- I'm sorry what? Pregnant...for a show...? Yeah this is the thought process of some of the girls of today.

-Done-

If you have made it this far Thank You please inform your little sisters, nieces, daughters, brothers, sons, and nephews about teen pregnancy and the other risks that are being taken when they have sex.

When I graduated in 2009 out of the five girls I hung out with I was the only girl who didn't get pregnant or have children in grades before then.  Now, I had acquaintances who were not pregnant but Im talking about my main circle of friends.

A website i came across with a very good article about teen pregnancy, http://www.chicktalkdallas.com/blog/?p=5574

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter